Friday, April 13, 2007

I Know My Redeemer Lives!

But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and that he will stand upon the earth at last. And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God. I will see him for myself. Yes, I will see him with my own eyes. I am overwhelmed at the thought!

Job 19:25-27 NLT


I know that my Redeemer lives; what joy the blest assurance gives! He lives, He lives, who once was dead; He lives, my everlasting Head!

He lives, all glory to His name; He lives, my Savior, still the same; what joy the blest assurance gives: I know that my Redeemer lives!

I Know That My Redeemer Lives
Samuel Medley (1738-1799)

Every once in a while, a verse jumps out of the Bible at you and takes on a poignant new meaning.

Job lost his fortune, family, and much of his health. In a stunning display of faith, he expresses his only remaining hope: "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth" (Job 19:25).

The words find an uncanny fulfillment in Jesus Christ.

Jesus gave His life to redeem us, to buy us back from our slavery to sin. His death was the price of our freedom. But that's not the bottom line, thank God. As the sun rises each morning, we can say with Job, "I know that my Redeemer lives." He lives!

Death could not hold Him. He lives, to finish salvation's work in me.

Hymnwriter Samuel Medley often repeated words and phrases in his songs.

Here, what's repeated is the most important concept: "He lives…He lives…He lives!!."

What hope divine, what joy unspeakable, what blessed assurance that you and I who believe, now have!

Contributed by Moda

No comments: